‘Chibok 234’: ‘One million women’ united in protest

Events in my household last week have underscored my motherhood ever more strongly. First, there was a baby shower. Then there was a milestone birthday anniversary.

A brother in Nigeria who heard of the baby shower asked what it meant. I told him it’s a party held to shower an expectant (or new) mother with gifts and words of wisdom, often from experienced mothers.
Typically, baby showers are organised for a first-time mother or mother-to-be. My oldest daughter, Ms. Nefertiti Aquah-Braden, in whose honour I hosted the baby shower on Friday, is in the second category.

I had previously attended two baby showers including one that friends in Edmonton, Canada hosted for me in 2003. I had never hosted one myself. Thanks to God Almighty for ‘Google University,’ the giver of all knowledge, I quickly became an expert!

Of course, the emergency “expertise” would have been entirely academic without the practical knowledge of Ms. Edo Etukeren, president of the Akwa Ibom State Association (AKISAN) in Arizona. “Madam Presido” arrived at my home, laden with games, activities and prizes, creating a fun and laughter-filled evening.

Three days later, my youngest child turned 10. I know … how did I get from being a soon-to-be grandma to being the mama of a ten-year-old? Let’s just say it’s one of life’s mysteries!

As a landmark birthday (entry into the double digits), it should have been celebrated with full throttle. Instead, it was low-key as we barely recovered from the baby shower, plus we are preparing for our middle daughter’s university graduation on May 15. Yes, my motherhood covers the entire gamut!

Not surprisingly though, in each of these mother-related activities, I’ve found myself thinking about the parents of the 234 girls trucked away from their school in the middle of the night nearly three weeks ago.


See More
Labels:

Post a Comment

[blogger]

MKRdezign

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Powered by Blogger.
Javascript DisablePlease Enable Javascript To See All Widget